Wednesday, April 26, 2006

I used this in our weekly update to our congregation. As far as my friend Dee's generosity...one day she was fighting with Karin in front of the hardware store, with Oakland Fire Department watching, as she tried to give Karin here tithe money!! I think the OFD thought Karin was robbing her:)

A few Sundays ago I had a revelation before the morning service. I
arrived early and busied myself with all the preparations involved with
Sunday morning. At some point Keith came up to me and said there was
someone there who wanted to speak with the Pastor. As I suspected it
was someone who was homeless and in need. The funny part was Howard
(who I had already known) was the same guy that stole my wife’s Bible
weeks earlier and had stolen some things from an office of Kehilla
Synagogue.

After I mentioned to him that we knew each other and that he had taken
a Bible from my wife, he talked about having a Bible stolen himself.
We joked around a bit after that, so I asked him what his needs were.
After telling me his story and asking for help, I told him that we
could not give him money but were very thankful to have him with us
this morning to worship and enjoy some food and coffee. We prayed and
I was feeling pretty good about how things were going.

Then I looked around the church and began to think of our people who
show up on Sunday, how most of them are tired and have been through
hard weeks, and church was a safe place for them. So without much
thought I ask Howard, trying not to be rude, “Can you do me a favor?”
And Howard asked what it was. I said I hoped that if he were to stay
he would not ask people who came in for money. Immediately he jumped
out of his seat and began to yell in my face about how there was no
love. He accused me of many things as he walked out but surprisingly
from the way he was acting did not get physically violent.

I am sure after the situation that I did not handle the situation the
best I could, there is always some better way to say things then how I
choose to do it. And after awhile I realized that I was really upset
and sad. I prayed, “God is there no church for Howard?”, why do I
often seem a hindrance to the Gospel rather than help. That afternoon
after church I returned to John 17 for encouragement.

Jesus prayed for his people, being God he knew who his people were and
those were the ones he was passionate for. I do not even imagine to
know who is of God and who is not as Jesus did, but I also thought
God’s people who come to church on Sunday deserve a safe place. But
then I thought does that mean that homeless folk will never be a part
of All Nations, how small is the Gospel I thought. That night Dee was
in the evening service. She comes and worships as often as she is able
to. Whenever Karin or I see her outside selling Street Spirits she
gives us a banana for our daughter, which usually leaves me in tears.
She loves our music, loves the people, is generous with what she has,
and sleeps through my sermons (usually). There is a place for all
God’s children; we’ll make room if necessary. And if some people are
not there yet I’ll pray and take licks from them so that our church can
be a safe place for God’s people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home