Thursday, April 27, 2006

"All in all, we doubtless suffer from too much doubt. But we are likely to suffer much more because too many men are too sure of themselves."-Herbert J. Muller

I read an beautiful article this morning titled, History Rebuffed: Herbert J. Muller's The Uses of the Past by Thomas C. Reeves. This is my first exposure, to my knowledge to Muller, and though the writer did not agree with Muller's overall worldview, he gently humbly and beautifully engaged it in a way that he is of interest to me now.

The worldview of Muller was presented with great integrity, so much so it is clear that Thomas Reeve has been greatly influenced by him. Though listen to something that I found striking, "Reason has a way of telling you what you want to hear, often making a deity of what one encouters in the mirror. 'Reasonableness' usually turns out to be what you hold to be true." Recently I have been encouraging people at All Nations to live gently and reasonably in community. This quote was striking for me because that is what I am longing for in the mirror. Hence I realized the beauty of the Golden Rule, Do unto others that you would want done unto you. Our reason is always shaped by the relationships that we are in. So what does it mean in every area of life to identify, acknowledge, and engage the relationships that effect our reason? This is just a quick thought I will be sure to write more on this soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home