Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Apologies for limits in language. I have no problem with using inclusive language in my regular everyday speech. When it comes to translating the Bible with inclusive language, it get fish because what was written for us often was not inclusive language but rather a use of the masculine to stand for both the masculine and the feminine.

Yet now that I have been ministering in the Bay Area for three years, I cringe reading scriptures that do not have inclusive language. Not because they are not true but because they have become a battle cry for many as a symbol of male dominance and subjectation of women. Both are things I am opposed to. So maybe offering a disclaimer on the bulletin? *the language of used in the Bible may seem antiquated but does not reflect a low view of women*

Hopefully my confession and apology is enough and I may go on and live in the freedom of the Gospel.

1 Comments:

Blogger Goes On Runs said...

it is not your job to prove that god is inclusive - he is - it is a truth. it is your job to try and help your church learn how to mirror, model, and love in such an inclusive manner than the wording that is used is so secondary to the heart of what the gospel is about - may my heart be as inclusive as i say it is.... may we be changed enough that we can live in the freedom of the gospel and pray that the bay area (or new york for that matter) may truly see us as the hand, eyes, feet, and heart of our savior and understand what a poor reflection we really are. live free, brother! :)

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home