Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Here I am at the PCA General Assembly. Once a year most of the pastors and ruling elders from the PCA gather together. This year we are in Atlanta, or how it is known in our family Hot-Lanta. It has been a great trip so far. We took the redeye from Oakland, so we got in very tired. Took MARTA (the Bart of Atlanta) from the airport to the hotel when Aidyn announced that she had to go to the bathroom really bad. Karin and I took a chance, and finally stumbled into a Starbucks at 7AM on our way to the hotel, grab a coffee and let Aidyn do her business. We stumbled to the hotel, who graciously let us check in, then went and got some breakfast. Of course now that I am back in the South I have already eaten grits at two meals!!

After sleeping for a few hours, we got up and headed down to registration. For someone who does not consider themselves very connected I ran into a few guys who I knew which is always nice, and according to some the highlight of GA. Then we made our way to MidTown. Midtown Atlanta is one of those neighborhoods that make West Coasters feel at home in the South. With it's huge gay community, Outwrite Gay and Lesbian bookstore, and great shops and restaurants Karin, Aidyn and I relaxed. After having a smoothie we went to the park on Piedmont Ave. By the way why is it that you always find Piedmont Ave in nice parts of town? There is a Piedmont Ave near our house, it's great, there is a city surrounded by Oakland called Piedmont. You never find Piedmont in the ghetto? The park was huge, with beautiful views of Hot-lanta's skyline, with a great play area for Aidyn and a pool that the girls will probably be back at.

Then we made our way to one of our favorite places...funny to say that we have a favorite restaurant in Atlanta...but we do. The Flying Buscuit. Our friends Eliott and Kacey introduced it too us, gourmet comfort food. Karin had the turkey meatloaf and I had shrimp and grits, while Aidyn had the stup (a mix between stew and soup). It was so good, more food than we should have eaten, at least Karin had the self control to save some and bring it back to our room.

It was about 8pm after we walked back to our hotel. Now that is only 5pm for us west coasters and I had told Aidyn I would try to get her into the pool at the hotel where our conference is at. The Hyatt in downtown Atlanta. Karin was very suspect of my ability to get us in after I had called Lewis and didn't get an answer on his cell phone. He and Cornelia are staying there and could easily get us in. So we took off, the girls in their swimming suits, and me praying that we can get them in. We walk into the lobby of the hotel, which is hillarious mind you. There are so many middle aged white people in golf shirts and kaki pants I don't know what to do. Then I catch Hunter Brewer's eye. Hunter Brewer went to seminary with me, and yes that is his real name, he is from Alabama and I think it is clear what his family likes to do. Hunter was the class president of my class at RTS, I think. Anyway we chit chat, and then I ask Hunter to get me into the pool, being the great guy that he is he walks us down and lets us in. Mission Accomplished, our day in Hot-lanta could not have gone much better. I end the night looking like super husband and dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home