Wednesday, July 19, 2006

There are wonderful things happening at ANPC with our Summer Art Camp. I will be sending out an email update to let you all know more about what we are up to. This morning though I am engaged in thinking about Paul's struggle as described in Romans 7:14-20.

The most clear part to me is Paul laying out a struggle. When I write friends or blog or even talk on the phone about struggle, it generally takes alot of untangling in order to make sense of what is underlying my confusion. I am thankful for scripture that is so honest that God would inspire the writer to say...."I do not understand my own actions." Often I will tell people that if our spirituality means anything we will be changed. The nature of what that change looks like can be very confusing, at least it seems to be for Paul.

What is at the heart of Paul's struggle in understanding is his own actions. Again not the actions of others, but his own. There is some question if Paul's struggling with his own actions are not a 'picture' or description of a greater struggle, which may be the case, but what I am sure it that the conversation going on in his own head seems to be motivating him. Why do I keep doing what I don't want to do, if I am 'knowing' what is right? Actions are at the core of this discussion. A more theological way of framing the big question I am thinking is, "Does Paul's struggle with his actions, relate to his personal justification or something larger than himself?" Can the answer be yes to both? Any converstation about law and flesh has personal application to me, yet since every person deals with both law (God says there will be a time in which it is written on their heart) and flesh. Or is it just personal and also applying to the people of God (for it is God's people who will have the law written on their hearts [is that Israel?]? Needless to say I need further thought on the subject.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home