Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I have never been disciplined enough to read through the entire Bible in a year. Don't worry I have read through the entire Bible but it was much more intensive, less of an act of daily discipline. Most of my life I would start with the best of intentions but somewhere around Judges or on the best attempts Chronicles I would call it quits. It was encouraging to me when a friend and pastor of mine gave me his preaching Bible and in the front was one of the calendars, there were check marks next to the daily readings he had completed and they ended about the same time I would usually give up. I guess misery loves company.

This year has been different for me. It really has been a wonder year of daily reading. A big part of it I believe is that I have fallen in love with the Proverbs and I get through everything else knowing that I get to read a Proverb each day.

So yesterday I am sitting in a coffee shop reading 1 Kings 19-22, most of which is about King Ahab. And the thought crossed my mind, what if some random person in the shop said what are you doing. I would tell them I was reading my Bible and they followed up by asking what I was getting out of it. Honestly I would have to tell them absolutely nothing. The story was not connecting with me at all, now lets talk about the Gospel of John, or Proverbs, or Romans and that is my song. But what I just read...nothing.

So why bother? Because there is something there for me to get. It might not be this time when I read or the next, or even the next, but forty years from now before my heart and mind are fertile ground for me to hear the sweet song of Jesus to me through certain parts of the Bible. (Sorry to mix metaphors, hope you follow along). It doesn't seem to even be a problem for me, God's word is not flawed, okay my heart is and I wish I lived fully as Christ now but that is just the reality of my world. So imagine a God who is faithful to his followers even though it may take them the rest of their life to make, "Jesus loves me this I know..." their reality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home