Friday, June 16, 2006

I met with a guy this morning who is looking to start a church similar to one he was involved with in Seattle. It has an emphasis on contemplative prayer and justice issues. He brought me what the group in Seattle is using as guidelines, values, or callings in order to be a part of this community.
The questions that I have are...1. Shouldn't membership be based not solely on sitting through a class or doctrinal agreement, but also upon practice? 2. Wouldn't practice be not only a requirement but also what it means to be a member? 3. Isn't consistant evaluation upon if you are keeping up your end of the bargan the opposite of what we commonly ask when it comes to our relationship with Church? (usually we ask is the church doing that the promise)
There are many other questions involved and I would love to hear comment or feedback. I am listing the spiritual practices of the group below. Note that Covenant Circles are small group time similar to our community groups, even though their church is only ten regular attenders. Second, their community specifically is open to homeless, so a six month commitment is an eternity for anyone especially if you are living on the street.
Copied from their document:
"The Covenant Circles help us become more like Jesus by holding us to the following spiritual practices:
*I will set aside time for prayer everyday, beginning with 20 minutes a day and moving toward an hour each day.
*I will seek to practice non-violence and forgiveness in all my relationships.
*I will make it a priority to show up weekly for my covenant circle where I will allow myself to be deeply known and loved and will seek to know and love others deeply.
*I will seek to discover the specific way I am called to "stand with the suffering" in the world and will help those in my circle discover their specific call to "stand with the suffering".
*I will go on a retreat once per year with ___________ Community to spend larger block of time in silent prayer.
*I will share some of my time and resources with those in need beginning with a specfic amount of time and money (tithe)
*I will not quit the community out of anger or frustration, but will work through differences. I will leave when I am called to grow somewhere else.

I commmit these spiritual practices for the next six months. I realize that only with God's help will I be able to follow through on these commitments and that these commitments are about "practice" and progress, not perfection."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home