Tuesday, August 23, 2005

I close my eyes and it is a few weeks later. The pace of life is unrelenting. This last week I preached on gluttony. One of the acts of gluttony I believe is the over the top schedules that most people maintain. It is not just single people or married people, people even schedule every hour of their child’s existence. There are a few things that I think drive this for us.

The first is we think that we are going to miss out on something. If my child does not take part in every extra curricular activity available they won't make it into that college. Or if they are younger perhaps we will miss out on discovering that one thing they are great at and they will live in mediocrity for the rest of their and our existence. Don't get me wrong I am as guilty of this as anyone. If I don't handle every emergency, read every page, or have every conversation I may miss the place where God really wanted me. Instead of trusting him I am concerned with doing his work.

The second reason is we are looking to fill ourselves. If I stay distracted enough I won't realize all there is happening in my life that is out of control. My least favorite day of the week is often my day off. I am force to stop, see all that is out of my control, and worry. Wait what I meant to say was trust God, seek him, put all of my needs at his feet. But what do I do more often than not, worry. So I often ask myself on my day off, just as I did today. Why bother taking a day off all it does is make me feel bad. It is because God wants to fill me. For me to stop, take time and rest, don't run from one activity to another feeling worthwhile. Gotta go I am sure there is something else for me to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home