Wednesday, July 13, 2005

It is nice when you catch a break, this morning I had just that experience. Since arriving back in Oakland I have been fighting battery problems with my 4Runner. It seems we left a map light on while in Seattle with the battery already near the end of it's life, this put it over the edge. But like any person trying to save money, I wanted to be really sure that was the case. So I continue to drive it, until last night, when trying to go out with a friend it was done.

So the plan was simple to wake up this morning ride the bus down to Kragen, get a cup of coffee and donut at Lake Merrit Bakery, purchase a new battery, and return home. Everything went just as planned including walking directly up to the bus stop after purchasing the battery and having the bus pull up.

It was only after I boarded did I feel strange. In this post-911, recent London bombing atmosphere I should of thought that a young man carrying a car battery onto a public bus might look suspicious. There were a few people who gave me very strange looks, and one man who might have taken a earlier stop because of my accessory.

I only had to ride the bus about ten blocks, as I exited the bus and thanked the bus driver he smiled at me and said, "I didn't see it before but you are not supposed to have a car battery on the bus." I smiled back, apologized, and thanked him again. The entire ordeal was manageable with the bus ride, without carring a 30lbs car battery 10blocks, that would have put me down.

I installed the battery without any drama, the car starts right up. Needless to say I am very thankful I caught a break today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home