Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Sitting on my front porch this morning reading on of my favorite authors (Anne Lamont), I was praying. I closed my eyes, listening to the birds sing as they feasted on the seeds in our lawn, and listening to what I thought was the palm trees blowing in the wind. The sun warmed me, and I thought about the people who we have met who have lived in Oakland since the forties and fifties.

It is hard for me to imagine what it must be like for them, being as young as I am. The world must seem like a strange planet compared to what they have experienced in their life. Seeing the gospel change Oakland is a dream for them.

As Karin and I pray about making Oakland our home, we often feel like it is Mars. God has great things in store, but how He is going to accomplish them is a mystery to me. I can only hope that we are a part of seeing the gospel change this city.

Looking up at the palm trees I realize that the wind is not blowing and the sound I heard was not for them. After a few minutes of confusing, the street sweeper went by. The birds were unfazed and our front lawn is full of weeds. In the back of our house we have a beautiful yard and garden, yet very few people ever get to see that. I went back inside with confidence that God is at work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home