Saturday, August 26, 2006

My running partner, on new running partner and I constantly chat as we run about how running is a wonderful metaphor for the Christian life. We are in good company since the apostle Paul uses it regularly. Anyway I hope he doesn't read my blog because I don't want to hurt his feelings because today I found another application of the metaphor.

Running cannot be dependent upon someone else. You see today we had planned on doing at least ten miles together. I scheduled my day around us being able to do it together. So when my partner went to a concert and told me he wasn't going to run with me today I had trouble getting it together to go. I sat on the bed with Karin looking for her to tell me not to go...which she did. I played with Aidyn. I thought about all the wonderful things I could do today if I didn't have to go running. And yet I went running anyway. It ended up being a great time. It was one of my days that I got 'lost', which is when I run a part of town that I do not know very well, estimating the direction rather than a clear route to make my distance, often I end up running significantly more than I plan on with these runs but it is a pleasure.

Something that was greater than my plan to run with a friend, and something greater than myself had to motivate me to get going. Too often our spiritual experience is dependent on who else is there and what is happening for them. Community very quickly becomes one of the acceptable idols in the church. Therefore our friends, especially long term friends is often the case, become the beginning and en of our spiritual walk. Sadly we can very easily be led astray if this is what motivates us. Community is a wonderful thing, but far too often we never experience true godly community because of our fear or intimacy or because we turn it into an idol that we expect to be able to rely upon rather than God.

1 Comments:

Blogger Goes On Runs said...

i love the connections that i find between my running and my walk with jesus. too often i have needed the motivation of my running partners to get me out the door - just as with my faith i need the encouragement of my community.... we weren't built to do it alone. but sometimes it is those runs alone when i find the connection between the two..... i find the quietness to be with my heavenly father. i hate that it takes the pavement to bring me there but am thankful when i does. i miss running.....

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home